Thursday, April 8, 2010

Diana Wynne Jones

Boy am I out of the loop. I'm always surprised when an author dies (someone died recently, at what I thought was young, but now I can't remember who it was...) Now it seems Diana Wynne Jones has cancer is and undergoing treatment (via Bookshelves of Doom). If you love her work and want to send her well wishes, follow the link above. There is an e-mail address there and on Bookshelves of Doom, there is a "snail mail address."

The only Diana Wynne Jones I've read...
I adored Howl's Moving Castle. I had decided to read it when I really wanted to see Howl's Moving Castle, the movie, but had to wait. It was worth the read. I laughed out loud, I rooted for Sophie and I just enjoyed the "typical fairy tale turned upside down." Plus, I adore Howl, like literary crush adore (but really, it was the anime that made me fall for Howl because while he is a pompous jerk, he actually cares). Either way, the book was fantastic and I'm glad that Miyazaki was inspired to create the anime from the book (although, there are a few liberties).

While I haven't read any of her other work, I recognize she's a great author and inspires kids to read. I wish her the best and am thinking of her.

P.S. Weekly post should resume soon, with SCOTT PILGRIM VOL. 1 and my thoughts on the trailer/upcoming movie.

No comments: